What is Club Volleyball?
Club volleyball are organizations that train athletes in the sport of volleyball so they can compete following the normal school season. Volleyball clubs are independent of each other and privately owned. The word “club” typically describes an organization that has teams for boys and girls, many different age groups (12-18) and levels. Clubs can vary in size from 1 or 2 teams to up to 40 plus.
The girls indoor club season begins with tryouts the first two weeks of November. All interested players must attend a tryout to be considered for one of our teams. All players must be an NCVA member. NCVA is the Northern California Volleyball Association, member of USA Volleyball. NCVA is one of the tournament organizations, as well as insurance provider.
Practice begin first week of December, tournaments begin in January. Teams practice for 2 hours, 2-3 days a week, Sunday-Thursday, some Saturdays, and travel to tournaments once or twice a month. All teams will end on or before the last weekend in April (unless qualify for the National Tournament).
Velocity is excited to begin boys volleyball club teams! We will be running teams for a short season. The boys indoor club season begins with tryouts in late October. All interested players must attend a tryout to be considered for one of our teams. All players must be an NCVA member. NCVA is the Northern California Volleyball Association, member of USA Volleyball. NCVA is one of the tournament organizations, as well as insurance provider.
Practice begin first week of November. Teams practice for 2 hours, 2-3 days a week, Sundays and Tuesdays/Thursdays, some Saturdays, and participate in two tournaments.
Click the Boys tab for more information.
What is the Difference Between Club and School?
- Club Volleyball is significantly more expensive than school or CYO teams. Each team cost is dependent upon level and travel. Velocity Volleyball Club team fees range from $1,500-$3,500.
- Velocity club fees are ALL INCLUSIVE. This means, once the team fee is set, and contract signed, you will not be asked to pay additional fees (unless team decides to go to additional tournaments), i.e. coach travel fees.
- Fees include, but are not limited to: Uniform package (2 Under Armour jerseys, 1 Under Armour spandex, Under Armour warmups, Under Armour backpack, warm-up shirt, and Molten Super Touch volleyball), coaching salaries, coach training, coach's NCVA memberships and background checks, coach's travel, facility fees, tournament entries, TeamSnap, Hudl (for select teams) and administrative fees.
- All Velocity practices are held in Modesto, Ca.
- Tournaments can be anywhere from Livingston, the bay area, Reno, Anaheim, and Las Vegas. Most teams stay within Ca. All teams travel to one tournament in Reno, NV.
- Parents are responsible for ALL travel to and from tournaments.
- Club volleyball is an entirely different (and much more significant) commitment than CYO. Besides the increased expense, it requires a high degree of time and emotional commitment by both the player and family. The season is much longer, practices are more intense, and tournaments often involve travel and a full-day commitment (a typical tournament day consists of anywhere from 4-6 matches, and can last as long as 10 hours).
- We expect players to be at as many practices and tournaments as possible. While we don't expect families' lives to completely revolve around volleyball, we do expect it to be a high priority. However, our club has the view that school, family and church come first. We have many multi-sport athletes and school should always be a top priority. Players are not "punished" for missing practices because of school sports or graded events. But we do tell our players, consequences of missing practices and/or tournaments are missing out of instruction and improvement.
- With CYO, teams are generally coached by parents of players on the team with varying levels of experience with the sport. Jr High and High School teams are often coached by an inexperienced teacher. Taking nothing away from some of the truly exceptional coaches in the CYO and Jr/Sr High programs, the coaching staff at Velocity Volleyball Club are professionals with years of experience at the club, high school and college level.
- We have watched players play through all age groups and have developed techniques and processes to maximize team and individual development. Each team will have a dedicated head and assistant coach.
- Club volleyball can be much more competitive then school teams. Club teams are made up of players from all schools and areas and we travel to play against top competition in our area and state.